Mother's Day:: Mother-in-Law

In honor of Mother’s Day, I’m spending this week writing posts dedicated to the mothers in my life. I’ll have a different post Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Sometimes I struggle to wrap my mind around the mother-daughter relationship and all it means. Especially now, being a mother myself, I spend every single day in awe of the awesome relationships we as women share with each other and our children! Kudos to all the mothers out there for all you do!

Today, I’m writing about my mother-in-law. I am fortunate enough to be married to a wonderful man and luckily, his mother is a large part of our lives. Since 1997, I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know her and the task of learning how to measure up to her.

Being born into a family and married into one are two very different occurrences, as we all know. Trying to figure out where and how you fit can sometimes be a challenge. I don’t think I’m alone when I’ve wondered if I have her acceptance and approval; wondered if she thinks I’m good enough for her son.

Many times in our society the mother and daughter-in-law relationship is the butt of jokes and portrayed in a negative light. I consider myself fortunate that that stereotype doesn’t apply to my life.

I’ve learned a multitude of things from my mother-in-law, and continue to on a regular basis. There of course, is the more trivial stuff like recipes and home remedies. But, there are also the more meaningful life lessons. There is a long list of things that I admire about her.

She was, and is, a selfless mother! When her boys were little, they did every creative craft and project imaginable. If there was something to experience or learn, she was teaching and showing it to them. It’s still evident today that she often puts the needs of her children in front of her own.

A minister’s daughter, she has instilled the love of God in her son for which I am very grateful. He grew up praying, attending church and reading the Bible, which is a true example of her love for Him and her family.


And, I also admire her as a wife. Her relationship with my father-in-law is also an example of her selflessness and extraordinary love for her family. I hope I can still be so giving and caring toward my husband after nearly 40 years of marriage.

I really do consider myself lucky to have a mother-in-law in my life that gives me extra motherly love and support. She is a wonderful person, mother and grandmother who we all adore.

Happy Mother’s Day Alice, I love you!


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully written--she truly sounds like such an amazing woman--and what a great family to marry into ;)

xo