I won't deny that small, mom owned businesses are generally among the best when it comes to customer service. Kudos to you! However, a recent experience made me think it wasn't such a bad topic to bring up here.
- Be accessible! Your website should list not only an e-mail address but also a phone number so that you can be reached if need be. If someone can't contact you with a question, they most likely aren't going to feel comfortable sending their hard-earned money to you.
- Respond! I know you have your own, busy life with kids and tons of responsibilitie. And, I'm not saying that you need to respond to every e-mail within minutes of receipt, but within 24 hours would be good.
- Be graceful! Don't argue, it's not worth losing a customer, or future customers over. Even if you don't feel as though you did anything wrong, be understanding and helpful.
- Listen! When a customer contacts you with a complaint or a compliment, listen! What they have to say is important and could give you crucial insight to what your customers want and what they expect. This can only help you!
- Go the extra mile! Once you have a customer, keep them! It's the little things, like a thank-you note included with the order, or future discounts for referrals, etc. that will keep them coming back!