Customer Service 101

|

I won't deny that small, mom owned businesses are generally among the best when it comes to customer service. Kudos to you! However, a recent experience made me think it wasn't such a bad topic to bring up here.


In a previous life I was a waitress and let me tell ya, dealing with cranky pizza eaters at 11:30 p.m. wasn't always fun. However, I'd like to think it taught me some important lessons that I've carried with me through both my professional and personal lives.

It is extremely important that you are not only considerate to your customers, but available and accomodating as well. Below are just a few of my favorite customer service tips.
  • Be accessible! Your website should list not only an e-mail address but also a phone number so that you can be reached if need be. If someone can't contact you with a question, they most likely aren't going to feel comfortable sending their hard-earned money to you.
  • Respond! I know you have your own, busy life with kids and tons of responsibilitie. And, I'm not saying that you need to respond to every e-mail within minutes of receipt, but within 24 hours would be good.
  • Be graceful! Don't argue, it's not worth losing a customer, or future customers over. Even if you don't feel as though you did anything wrong, be understanding and helpful.
  • Listen! When a customer contacts you with a complaint or a compliment, listen! What they have to say is important and could give you crucial insight to what your customers want and what they expect. This can only help you!
  • Go the extra mile! Once you have a customer, keep them! It's the little things, like a thank-you note included with the order, or future discounts for referrals, etc. that will keep them coming back!
Hopefully this was helpful, and at the very least reminded you about some important aspects of customer service. Have a great {or horror} customer service story to share? Leave a comment or e-mail us!

P.S. We still have a few spots open for our upcoming Autumn Blog Party. If you are a mom business owner who would like to be featured, contact me for details. And, while you're at it become a fan on Facebook for great updates an insider info ;o)

0 comments: